9.24.2009

Painting and perfectionism


{Getting ready…}

I decided a few days ago that I'm going to give painting a try. Normally I wouldn't attempt something like this because painting is not a medium I'm comfortable with. I have a little problem with perfectionism - if I can't do it perfectly I won't even try it. Sounds a little crazy.

The idea for the imagery came to me all of a sudden while I was walking in the park yesterday. Malayna had a great day in school yesterday, with no crying in the morning and no crying at lunchtime. It seems that when she's okay I feel extra creative and inspired. Quite the opposite of what you usually hear about artists - that they create their best work when they're feeing tortured or sad. Not so for me.

I happened to have a canvas, some cheap acrylic paints (why go out and buy the expensive when this is my first attempt?) and TIME! I practically ran home from the park (not really, but it sounds good), gathered my supplies and put some music on. I wanted my canvas to have a solid blue background, which was a little harder than I thought it would be. It took a few coats, but today it looks like I pictured it in my head. As far as the imagery I'm going to use, I printed some of the patterns I've created and I'll be using them in a collage, along with some painted words. The whole theme of the piece is inspired by Malayna. I can't wait to finish and I'm crossing my fingers that it turns out the way it looks in my imagination!

No comments: