5.22.2008

I need sunshine and art

I've been feeling grumpy, annoyed and bored lately. Then yesterday I figured out why: it's been raining and COLD around these parts this past week or so {temperatures in the 50s and 60s - this is MAY!}. Plus, I haven't been in my studio in weeks. Yes, weeks. I've been up there for a small project or two, but haven't spent more than an hour in there since April. I need to change that. I can't change the weather, but I can get my butt upstairs to do some creating.

Jimmy and I work out after Malayna goes to bed, but last night I only did half of the workout so I could spend time with my art. It was so worth it. The minute I walk in the studio door the ideas start flying. I lose track of time and wish that I could add a few more hours to the night.

I don't normally schedule my creative time, but maybe I should. Instead of ignoring my need for creativity every day, I should just walk upstairs and make something. Or just sit in the studio - sometimes that does it for me. Just being around my stuff {paper, beads, color, mess} makes me feel more relaxed and less edgy.

For all you other creative souls out there, do you schedule your art-making time? Or do you just let it happen?

4 comments:

beki said...

I've noticed that when I don't do anything creative for a while I get very grumpy too. I don't really schedule a time, but I try to make it happen often.

Barb Smith said...

With a hectic life, I tend to try and schedule as much creative time as I can fit in but sometimes it strikes me when I can't sleep at 4am that I really NEED to go work on that beaded bracelet. lol So, yes and no. I just find that the more I craft, the saner (is that even a word?) the more sane I stay.

RYC: Thank you. I'm glad you liked my stenciling with freezer paper tutorial. It's a great thing to do with kids. I hope you'll post your results, too.

Jan said...

I don't schedule hard & fast times, but certain times of the day lend themselves better to creative stuff - so I just know in the back of mind that those are the times I'll be working. I have to *sometimes* force myself to blog on Scoutie Girl. That always throws a self-imposed wrench in my time!

paula :: plays with mud said...

I try to do at least one crafty thing a day ... it doesn't have to be big or even complete, but doing one thing keeps me inspired and gets me excited about art and craft again. It's hard, cause it has to happen after O goes to bed, which by then I'm exhausted ...