1.08.2008

custom work

Over the holiday, I made a few custom pieces - some to give as gifts and some that customers had ordered. I always make my parents something for Christmas, and it's usually created on Christmas Eve. I have to wait for the ideas to come, and luckily this one came before 2am. You can't force creativity!
This "frame" is fairly large - it measures 10x16, has three 4x6 photos, my custom-made paper and a quote about grandparents: "What children need most is what grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies." {Quote by Rudy Guiliani.} There's a picture-hanger on the back so it can be hung on the wall.

Of course it made my mom cry. If you knew my mom, you would know that making her cry isn't very hard to do. It's my goal at Christmas, Mother's Day, and her birthday - make her a gift that sends her running for tissues. She starts before she even opens the present!

I would like to create something like this for milkshake crafts, but the fact that the photos aren't covered with anything bothers me a little. But I'm stuck - I don't know how or with what I'd cover them. A thin piece of plastic? Plexiglass? I think glass would make it too heavy.

What do you think? Any ideas for how I can protect the photos?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't tell from your photo what materials you're using (other than photogaphs) - but would that thick, clear stuff you paint on for decoupage work? (k)

Jan said...

Hi Lisa--
I would go with a piece of clear plexiglass, with some kind of soft spacer between the frame surface and the plexi for added dimension. You could even cable the pieces together somehow, but that might be too industrial. Hmm. In this order (from the top-down), I might put in a small bolt/screw, a 1" washer covered in your pretty paper, plexiglass, soft rubber spacer, frame, washer on back, and a nut to screw onto the bolt.

Anonymous said...

This is great! I want to order one for my mom (with pictures of Aidan, of course!). I really like that quote (even though I am not that fond of the person who said it)

textile_fetish said...

Have you checked out frames this size in the stores? I dont think that's an unusual size for glass. I mean, shipping it with glass would be tough.

KB said...

Mod podge?

Also, I'm tagging you.