8.07.2007

A {teeny} room of my own


{A view from the doorway of my studio.}

I feel very fortunate to have a studio where I can create, blast my music, watch bad TV or just sit and stare out the window. My (very tiny) room is on the third floor of our 100+-year-old house. Despite its size I've managed to squeeze lots and lots of stuff into every available nook and crannie. I like it that way - I don't think I'd be able to work in a minimalist space. The colors, textures, and patterns I see in my room inspire me while I'm working.

When I look out the window I see the big, old maple tree that grows in front of the house. Sometimes I hear squirrels running up and down the branches, but mostly I listen to the birds chirping. A few of them have made nests in the eaves - probably not very good for the house, but great for me! There are few sounds more peaceful than singing birds..

My dad customized the studio for me when Malayna was a baby. He built the shelves and the desk that goes around 3/4 of the room. Under the desk is lots of storage space, which is just about filled. I have a huge fabric stash under there, just waiting to be sewn into quilts and covers for our beds. I bought a lot of it before Malayna was even born, and I figure it might not be used until she goes off to school in a few years.

Do you have a room of your own?

15 comments:

Funky Finds said...

yay for you starting a blog! it will be fun to see behind the scenes.

Kenyetta said...

Congrats on the new blog!
I would love to have a craft room of my own!

javede said...

I wish I had a room of my own like yours, but I'm still living at home as I'm a student...

Anonymous said...

I have a spare bedroom and I have it pretty packed. We may need the room for something else soon and I can't even think about what I'm going to do then.

Congrats on the new blog - I'll definitely check back!

AtPlayWithFiber said...

Nope, I have to share the room I have with hubby & it is also the guest room. My father-in-law is talking about visiting us in the fall (right during my busy time). ARG!

Rockin' Mama said...

I'm a new blogger myself! It's actually a lot of fun. I started one as well to blog about my new baby boy and to give friends and family a forum to see him!

Can't wait to read more.

jasonncaryn@yahoo.com

Lauri said...

Yeah!---A-New-Blog!
*Please-Excuse-The-Weird-Typing-But-My-Spacebar-Doesn't-Work...

I-Love-Your-Room-Way-Up-There-On-The-3rd-Floor.
I-Do-Have-My-Own-Studio...My-Husband-Is-Remodeling-It-Right-Now-Adding-Tons-Of-Shelves-And-Cabinets.

I-Can't-Wait-To-Get-It-All-Organized!

I-Also-Can't-Wait-To-See-Some-of-Your-Quilting-Projects!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I have our own SIDE of a room to create our crafts I guess you'd say. We share the space with my father in law who does woodworking like ourselves. Our room is filled with sawdust and the smells of polyurethane and various woods. However small it may be, it gets the job done and we love it anyway. It's our little corner workshop. Congrats on your new blog and we hope to be your neighbor at another show... Robin from Humps PENZ

Unknown said...

Welcome!! I love the fact that you live in a 100+ year old house! I have a little boy, Xander, that was born in 2003 also. And I just wanted to let you know that I ordered the "Dream" pin a while back and it's pinned to my inspiration board...I absolutely love it!

Anonymous said...

Oops - I hit the wrong key and the comment went without my link. In case you wondered who Sandy was.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa--Okay, yours is one blog I may actually visit. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not big on blogs because, well, I just really don't care about the details of most folks' lives! But I know you!

I am sitting in, color wise, my favorite room of my own, my 3rd floor studio. Two walls are periwinkle and two walls are turquoise. And when the puss across the street sits in his window, we can check each other out!

All the best,
Ruth (from the old TU days)

Anonymous said...

I admire you, and your desire to do something you love and make it fit into your life! All of us women many times leave out a "passion" for something that we would love to do in our life because we are either too afraid to try or don't allow ourselves the space (in dealing with our families or whatever) to do it. Keep up doing what makes you feel good, I think that helps us be better Mom's, Wives and love ourselves more!
~Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa!

Congrats on the new blog - im just visiting over from the SB.

I might have to challenge you on the tiniest studio competition. The person that lived in our apartment before converted a large closet into a very small office. It was the perfect place for my "studio". Measuring at just under 10 by 5 feet, and jammed full of fabric!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,
I love your wee studio and am very jealous.. unfortunatly we dont have any spare space at home right now but next year we are expanding into the apartment next door to ours.. I have been fantasising about having a space thats just for me.. what a treat!
will look forward to reading more of your new blog.

beki said...

I love seeing your studio! I, too, am lucky enought to have a space of my own, but it still isn't complete. I like your desk, that's something I'd like to incorporate.