8.21.2007

works in progress

{My work-in-progress - still needs to be grouted.}

Back in 2000 when I first started selling my work, I made mosaics. I didn't have a studio then and would bring all my supplies to my dining room. At the time, the process of mosaic was like cheap therapy - I loved finding the perfect bowl/plate/cup to take my hammer to and break into tiny pieces, then fitting those pieces together into a pleasing composition.

Last year I bought a rusty old stool for the yard that I intended to cover with a mosaic. Well, a year later I finally got around to it. I spent a sunny weekend afternoon in the yard with the radio tuned to Coffee House {on Sirius}, a glass of wine and my supplies by my side. Doesn't that sound good right about now? It's been raining off and on {mostly on} since Sunday and I'm ready for the sun to come back!

Malayna and I stayed in today because neither of us really like to go out in the rain. I downloaded a few projects from The Toy Maker, like this one and this one. The turtles were really simple to use, but the toyshop was a tiny bit complicated. {Malayna really liked both of them, but the toyshop could be a bit bigger since only one of her little dolls fits inside.} There are lots of pretty and simple-to-make toys on the site - and they're all made of paper.


{A corner of a new clock}

This work-in-progress is a 20" clock - the circles are painted and it has a wood base covered with paper. It's 1/2" thick - a bit thinner than my 10" clocks. My intention with these clocks is to offer just a few to begin with - and maybe they'll be one-of-a-kind. I'm not sure yet. People really seem to like the fact that the other clocks have cherish this moment on them. Should I just have that phrase on the 10" clocks? Maybe the bigger clocks could have numbers and some kind of decorative painting.

What do you think?

No comments: